Monday, May 12, 2008

West Coast Trip

I know it's been a spell since my last post. Two reasons for this. The first being that the internet isn't as accessible to me as it was in Provo. My Grandma doesn't have the internet, and I don't get much time to just surf the net while at my mom's house. The second reason is that I've just been so busy. I can't really innumerate what I've been doing, but I've been busy.

My trip to the west side of Oregon was not quite what I hoped. It was a trip full of lows with a few highs mixed in. I got into Eugene Thursday night, had dinner at Olive Garden with Ryan, the next morning he had a midterm to take so I stayed at the house and got ready to take off to the coast. An officer came and knocked on the door to tell me my car had been broken into. Actually she told one of Ryan's roommates then left, so helpful, right? It's the back side window that got smashed in. Of all things that could of been stolen, the thief took my scriptures! It probably looked like a purse sitting on my back seat, sheesh! It was pretty frustrating. My insurance only pays for things after $500, so I have to find the cash to replace my stupid window. My scriptures were priceless. I mean, the actual book, leather bound and all was probably worth somewhere around 80 bucks. But, I've had those for ten years! They've carried me through all my adolescent angsts and growth. They'd become a friend and a comfort, and also like a second journal. Also in my tote were a hymn book my grandma had gotten me for a Christmas a few years ago, a cute little notebook my aunt Steph had just sent to me in Provo, cute drawings from Riley and Eli, my Patriarchal Blessing, and my temple reccommend. It's all so frustrating. I just hope they weren't dumped in a garbage and someone somewhere will benefit from them. The thought of them in a garbage is crushing.

To make things better Ryan was moody and quiet the whole time I was with him. It was like sitting in awkward silence for three days, or just talking to yourself. Terrible. I left him a little early, Saturday night, and went to Portland to stay with my good friend Teresa at Lewis and Clark College.
Sparing many details, these were the highs of my trip:

The beautiful bloom of spring! The whole area was green, with trees and flowers blooming.
Putting my feet in the ocean! I hadn't done that in years. Plus we ate at Mo's and got saltwater taffy.


Seeing Teresa! That girl makes me smile and laugh. I've known her since the seventh grade, so there is just that comfort you find in people who've known you forever.


Sparky's Pizza in Sandy! Delicious. Some of the best pizza I've ever had.


Hanging out with our friends Brenton and Alan before they left for their respective missions. Brenton left last week and will serve in New Mexico, Alan leaves here soon for Ohio.

Tillamook! We toured the cheese factory, ate lots of free samples, agonized over which ice cream to eat, bought some curds, and took pictures of happy cows.



Going to the Portland Temple! It is a peaceful place in a world of chaos and hecticity (I think I made that word up). You find peace, comfort, answers, and perspective.


The drive home! We left Portland around 1 am and got back into LG around 5:15am. We were so tired, but it was good to spend time together singing off key and playing terrible games to stay awake.

No comments: