Monday, November 5, 2012

One Nation Under God

I guess I'm writing two days at a time again. 

Of course, you know, it is election season. And, I'm certainly a political junkie. It's rather stressful sometimes. I don't know why I get so invested, especially in races like President where in all reality the results will not in all reality affect my life so much as local politics and measures. 

But I can't help it. 

It's fun, in a masochistic kind of way. 

My husband is an avid Oregon Ducks fan, and he get's pretty into the Portland Trailblazers, too. I try not to give him too hard of a time for scouring the web, reading forums and feeling so passionate about it all because I can relate! 

I remember really getting into politics when I was about 17 and George Bush and John Kerry were the eventual contenders. But, I watched the Democratic Primaries, scoured the "news" channels and made sure my Mom cast her ballot. 

Flash forward about four years later. 

I was 20, in my third year of college, my first at BYU-Provo. I remember eagerly watching the Republican Primaries and trying not to cry when finally Romney bowed out after Super Tuesday 2008. Honestly, I'm a moderate Republican - that's why I like Mitt - deep down he's a moderate. That's why I was able to get on John McCain's bandwagon, not to mention an American Hero and great guy. Fall of 2008 I was on the BYU College Republicans executive board. It was so much fun, met so many good people and had many great experiences. 
You should probably just go to my 2008 blog archive and relive it all. 

Sarah Palin's folks. So nice and down to earth!

At John McCain rally in Las Vegas.
And now here we are 2012. Mitt's my man. Not nearly as involved as I was in 2008 (baby, husband, living in Oregon). But, I'm still eager. It's like my Superbowl. I love watching the results come in. I love/hate so much about it all. I'll definitely be glad when it's over. But, I'm just so grateful to live in this country. I believe the government and constitution to be divinely designed and inspired. 

Also, I'm grateful for the freedom of speech, aren't you? 

P.S. For one of the main reasons why I oppose Big O and support Mitt, see this blog post from 2008. 

No comments: