Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Day I Was to Fall From the Sky....

I woke up feeling anxious, but excited. That kind of feeling where you have those flappy butterflies in your stomach, but your brain is smiling, and your body is trying not to throw up on your feet.

Reminded of the small airplane ride up to the jumping space, I had popped two Dramamine after a breakfast of a banana and a small cup of cereal.

I stood in front of the mirror three different times with three different outfits. Morgan made the comment, "You're going skydiving Lexy." I settled on some dark jeans, my nike running shoes, and a red t-shirt from my elementary school. Hair down and undone.

I jumped behind the wheel of my steadfast Focus. Dug through my CD's and popped in Garth Brooks' Live Hits. A few miles and a little Callin' Baton Rouge later, we were at the dinky airport. The warm wind whipped my hair in my face. I gave up and decided only to partially see what could be the last few moments of my life.

Morgan walked into the dome-like structure where we were supposed to learn how to jump out of a plane from 13,000 feet.

Suci, McLain, Mckinna, and Ethan drove up in the dark Dodge Stratus, fresh from dragging main in the little town of Toole. As they piled out -- Mac with a mischievious grin his face, a Mt. Dew in hand -- Morgan walked back from the dome, a pained look on her face. Bad news. It was "too windy."

Shortly thereafter a man came over the loudspeaker telling the few crazies about to risk their lives, that their thrill would have to wait at least another hour.

By then the Dramamine was doing it's thing, knocking me out. I reclined my seat in the car, put on my eye mask and was in and out for the next hour and 15 minutes. At 12:15 Morgan came back with the final world, there wouldn't be any skydiving today, though we were welcome to reschedule.

So I didn't fall from the sky. It was disapointing. The kind of disapointing that is hard to describe in words. We had told folds of people about our plans for a little thrill. Now we had to field questions about our almost experience.

I like to place blame on my Grandma. Mom told me she didn't even want to be by the phone in fear she would get a call about something terrible. She was hoping something would happen and we wouldn't jump. Turns out a cooler weather system decided to blow in Grams. Thanks. Didn't know your faith was that strong.... ;-)

We will try again...maybe come spring??

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Nice photo of you lexy!