Thursday, September 25, 2008

It just keeps getting better and better...

My title is full of sarcasm.

First, I couldn't go skydiving because of the wind.

Then, Tuesday, when I got home from the gym, I noticed that my left ankle bone looked like a large grade A egg compared to my right ankle. And it was starting to feel sore. I was confused because I hadn't twisted my ankle or anything. Then by the end of the day, it started looking like my last ankle problem. By Thursday afternoon a large portion of my foot was stiff, red, and very swollen. My doctor and roommate, Kara, told me I had to get it looked at by a real Doctor. This was distressing because I was uninsured and had been for about a year.

We went up to the school health center, where I first signed up for the school health insurance (204 bucks, yuck!), then went down to the urgent care clinic downstairs. The doctor saw my foot and immediately moved me to another room where she proceeded to shine a light on my elevated foot, swab it with iodine, tell me to lay back and then first sliced off my scab from a really old blister that I thought was almost healed. Well, that hurt like a mo, but I handled it. THEN she took out a clicky knife (like a ball point pen only with a sharp blade at the end) and stabbed deep into the already VERY tender area. Oh, it hurt. But don't worry, she did it again, deeper. I squealed a little bit, but I didn't cry. Then she bandaged me up, prescribed me two antibiotics, and instructed the nurse to give me a shot in the bum. I also was ordered to use crutches, put heat on my ankle, and stay off if it as much as possible, keeping it elevated where possible. And instructed to come back in the morning.

Turns out I have a staph infection. I guess those are bad. Let me tell you what is worse, crutches. I am bruised and battered from them.

This morning I went in again and the doctor said my swab came back positive for MRSA staph, a string of staph that is highly resistant to antibiotics. So the nurse gave me another shot.

The worst news was that both of the doctors who saw me highly suggested that I not go to Denver. So I didn't go today, Doctor, Mother, Roommate all told me I couldn't. I cried. I was way dissapointed. A once in a lifetime oppurtunity I had to pass up, plus letting down the College Republicans leadership. I'm bitter.

Then, only consoled by the idea of catching the premiere of Grey's Anatomy tonight, I sat upon the couch waiting. Don't worry our cable is out, so I couldn't watch it. I told you, it just keeps getting better and bettter...

Pray I don't lose my foot or leg. I have a new appreciation for Joseph Smith Jr.'s childhood leg problems....the cutting open, the crutches, the pain! Okay, I'm done....but not adverse to outside pity.

2 comments:

Carly said...

OH my goodness, Lexy! How did this happen?!! You poor kid! You know... when stuff like this happens it's really hard to keep the perspective that the Lord must really love you and he's keeping you out of SOME sort of trouble that'd be way worse than what you're going through right now. Probably not the most comforting thing, but I think it's true. Good luck! I feel so bad for you!

Kylee said...

Oh my! I am so sorry that you have a staph infection. When I first started reading about it, I was thinking "I bet it is a staph infection" must be the esp feeling or something because then I kept on reading and there it was you telling me that you have a staph infection. I am sorry that it is so painful and the crutches aren't taking it easy on you.
Well I cried during Grey's, but not because it was sad. I was just sad about life.
Sorry that you didn't get to go to Denver. I know you were looking forward to it. Sometimes life is the(excuse my language) "the s****" That is what my grandpa used to say sometimes when things were bad. So when I was crying to my mom on the phone tonight she told me that and i started to cry even harder. Anyways. Hope that this next week brings many blessings.
Love,
K